BUREAU VERITAS CASE STUDY
2019 / / PREPARED BY AYUSH GARG
BUSINSS DEVELOPMENT ASSOCIATE
ABOUT THE CUSTOMER
The Client - Bureau Veritas (BVR) is one of the leading companies in testing, Inspecting, certificating (TIC), delivering high quality services to help clients meet the growing challenges of quality, safety, environmental protection and social responsibilities. They operate with a network of 700 offices/laboratories and over 26,000 employees in more than 140 countries who are serving 300,000 customers. The Client has a expert level technical expertise in lift technology and is available in all key European Countries. For Lift inspections, Bureau Veritas evaluates each installation according to its age, current state, file of maintenance, file of inspection and the risk inherent in its operation, based on the kind of assets such as elevators, escalators & ski lifts. BVR provides certification with high integrity and ethics.
Older installations that had not been modernized still, presented risks since they were built to follow legacy design and safety standards that are now outof-date. To minimize risk and comply with regulations, lift installations needed to undergo inspections regularly. The client wanted to automate the whole inspection process in order to completely eliminate paperwork. Furthermore, the following business constraints were faced by the BVR:
- Everyday inspectors were scheduled with the target of no inspections to be covered. Lift Inspection teams spent only 30-40% of their time in inspections and the rest is spent on reports and administrative tasks such as planning, scheduling, preparing checklists, documenting , data analysis which are Non Value added,
- The inspectors were collecting all the information related to inspection in Paper before getting in to the field.
While maintaining those records in papers, it was tedious to retrieve and review the historic data pertaining to
lift related records & manuals.
- Given the complexity of the business and increase in the types of inspections that needs to be conducted, entire process has become increasingly challenging. As the data was being entered manually to submit the report, huge risks were involved if the inspectors / admin missed to enter any data.
- Checklist is required to be maintained for escalator and elevator separately with the option to change the checklist type at the point of inspection. It was tedious enough to coordinate the relevant people to be present at the inspection location on time.
- To overcome this, before and after every inspections, separate e-mail notifications were sent to the customer, inspector and the lift maintenance company for every lift in a location. But recipients were annoyed in getting multiple mails for the same location. Henceforth this remained a challenge.
- The major challenge faced here was high time consumption; it took about 6 months for the whole process to be completed. BVR wanted an automated process to increase the productivity and the level of efficiency that would help 06 to reduce the time as well as increase in productivity.
Pro Inspector automates the whole process by providing a solution which has 3 components namely back office, Client Portal & Mobility solutions. It has a separate user account with access to inspection portal and obtains inspection for every client... This ensured security and also made file sharing and storage user friendly.
- Thus the tasks of maintaining lift related records, retrieving and reviewing inspections history became an easier task. A unique ID was provided for every elevator/escalator that fetched asset number from the user.
- This makes the data retrieving process easier. Excel import option for bulk inspections scheduling (based on the location and the workload of the inspector) was implemented in our application that automated the inspection scheduling process which was performed manually before.
- Also, the batch mail process was implemented to nullify the issue of sending redundant mails to recipients for the same location. This also helped in coordinating the customer, inspector and the lift maintenance company at the right location on
- Since there are numerous types of elevators/escalators, rules are pre-configured for lifts accordingly and the application also provides the feature to switch between checklists.
- This made the data analysis and documentation much easier. Also the Inspection reports and certificates can be generated instantly and given to the customers once it is been approved bytechnical director.
- Paperwork is eliminated and the administrative work is reduced vastly.
- The number of inspections has been increased substantially from 30% to 80% and thus the productivity as well as efficiency increased.
- Now the inspectors spend 0% in report and administrative tasks because the application does it by itself with just the matter of clicks.
- Response time has been improved which increased their number of lifts being inspected per day and distributed the information globally with the help of the automated marketing tool.
- The back-end portal was designed for the help desk agents and administrators that enabled scheduling tasks and other administrative tasks efficient and quick.
- Right job to the right inspector is given based on the high level technical expertise in lift technology, work load, etc.
- Now, the Inspectors are totally independent and have all information available including lift inspection manuals in iPad / Tab (online & offline).
- Configured inspection checklist, checklist with critical mandatory questions, approval with comments, attached recommendation for each checklist question. Communication has been enhanced with SMS notifications & email alerts which helps the customer, inspector and the lift maintenance company to be at the inspection place on time.
- Customers can also track inspector’s location using maps and direction.
- BVR has taken ROI in 3 – 6 months.